mandag 30. juli 2018

TALKING ABOUT SAMI PEOPLE

Often I get questions about the sami people and sometimes it´s difficult to give an easy answer. It can be difficult to generalize Samis, and to give one straight answer, because there are a lot of opinions, judgements, and expectations about the sami people. Both from us Sami ourselves and from others.

But the most obvious reason is that the Sami culture is NOT ONE thing, it´s not ONE culture, ONE tradition, ONE language and way of joiking, dressing, being, and way of living. It´s actually many things. And it´s many ways of living.

There are 10 different Sami languages, some say less some say more. Every district has their own clothing, cultural traditions, joiking styles, and living conditions. Some a fishers, some farmers, some reindeerhearders. 

So if you ask me about Sami culture, it can be a very big questions, and most of the times I am not prepared to answer on behalf of all the Sami people, because we don´t always agree with each other, we have different opinions about things, different values and traditions.

But of course I can always answer the questions on behalf of myself as a Sami, and what feels right for me. Other Samis might have other opinions, and might disagree with me, so my truth does´t necessarily apply to all Sami people. 



Do you feel like you are representing a whole culture, and you feel you are talking on behalf of alot of people when you speak? How do you handle and relate to this?

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar

RSS